Friday, April 30, 2010

My favorite easy meal means lots of dishes

I’ve been busy with the kinds of things that keep me from eating like I want to. I was out of town over the weekend and spent half my time being hungry and politely declining food I didn’t want, and the other half eating pizza (which, after a few slices, I didn’t want).

So when I got home, I was hungry, and hungry for something green. I had the night to myself and cooked up a three-pot supper that hardly required any attention or effort, until it’s time to do the dishes.

Menu: 1/2 bag of frozen black eyed peas, boiled in just water and salt, for about an hour. I think these guys taste just fine without any pork fat, thank you. Next: brown basmati rice, left to simmer on its own for about 40 minutes. Finally, collard greens cook for about 20 minutes in vegetable broth and finish with a splash of vinegar.

Nothing needs much attention, and it’s tasty. Funny, though, that this is the kind of food I eat alone. I used up the last of my sweet & hot pepper and onion relish, though, so I’ll have to find some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment