Monday, April 5, 2010

Asparagus, just asparagus

Sometimes, I eat fruits and vegetables without knowing too much about them. I may be a step ahead of the kids on Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution who couldn’t distinguish potatoes from tomatoes, but I’ll admit that I don’t know what much of my food looks like as it grows. Apple tree? Yes. Corn stalk? Most definitely. Asparagus? Nope.

Thanks to the web, I can now find a host of answers at my fingertips. I especially liked the post from the Whole Foods blog from about this time last year, which shows some fields of asparagus.

I’ve gotten asparagus twice recently, and both times I roasted it in the oven. The first time, I ate it with only olive oil and salt. The second time, I dressed it with 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar. I think I prefer the olive oil and salt.

036 Roasted balsamic asparagus with saffron brown basmati rice, black eyed peas, and mushrooms. On a small plate. Yes, I like to cook it until it's really, really tender.

Oh, if you’re wondering why asparagus makes your pee smell funny, here you go. And is it a quality of life issue?

2 comments:

  1. I remember being floored by how pineapples grow when we went to Hawaii -- I had no idea. We are way too removed from our food, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked at some growing pineapples. What a surprise! You're absolutely right.

    ReplyDelete