Thursday, April 8, 2010

Ebony & Ivory Salad

I’m in yet another lull between trips, guests, and holidays, so I perused some cookbooks in search of new recipes to try. I’ve been looking for new salads because I love cold salad greens, but I’m always interested in new ways to eat them. For this, I made my own dressing and topped lettuce with beans, bell pepper, celery, and onion.

003

I adapted this recipe from The Passionate Vegetarian, a gigantic book my mother gave me a while ago. The dressing is called “Simple Vinaigrette with a Bite .” It has a kick, but I found it very pleasant. I blended cider vinegar, garlic, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and olive oil (I left out the basil as I don’t have anything but teeny-tiny sprouts right now).

I marinated the black beans, cannellini beans, red onion, and celery in the dressing and then mixed with the salad greens and red bell pepper just before serving. I used raw bell pepper for two reasons. Honestly, I didn't read the recipe closely and didn't notice that it called for it to be charred. I think I prefer it raw anyway.

I have a lot of left over beans, but I don’t think that’s a problem in this case because it’s so delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment