Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sunday Brunch, buffet style

As I mentioned, I scoured the web to find places to eat on our little getaway to Louisville. I checked out Urbanspoon’s #1 vegetarian restaurant, Ramsi’s Cafe on the World, and saw broadcast on their page they are now serving brunch. Score!

It was a buffet. I didn’t realize it was a buffet. I checked the website later and I completely missed it, it does say it’s a buffet. Does that matter? Well, when I was trapped in line between the wall, three people behind me, and an old man picking through the bacon strips it mattered. And I overate, trying to try everything. Can you blame me?

028

Pictured here is tofu huevos rancheros, which is a crisp tortilla topped with black beans, tofu scramble, tempeh sausage, pico de gallo and green onions. This was probably my favorite dish as I prefer the savory even at breakfast. The tofu scramble wasn’t great – Alex, who ate some by itself, mentioned that it was runny – but I think I’ve spoiled him with my own scramble.

Next you see the breakfast potatoes, which were good (you know I like me some taters) with a side of the vegan chipotle cheeze. Man, that was spicy! And I tried a potsticker with tempeh sausage. It was okay. I probably overdid myself on fried foods between the potatoes and potsticker, but I blame that on the buffet and not wanting to waste everything I wanted a bite of. Keep in mind, we took a two-hour sweaty hike the day before.

I also tried the ginger plantain french toast, which was incredibly yummy, even as I admit I'm not a huge fan of sweets. I even finished Alex’s plantain. We shared a few items, including some pastries from the dessert bar, a black bean patty, a biscuit, and a soy sausage. Actually, the black bean patty was nothing to sneeze at. That was another favorite. But the vegan biscuit could use some help. Even looking at it, you could tell it wasn’t near competing with the non-vegan biscuit. I’ve seen much better. I’ve made much better.

Since this isn’t a local-to-me restaurant, I don’t really have to decide whether I would go back. If it were local, I’m not sure what I would do. All the food was good, but I’d rather pay a little less, eat a little less, and have food that’s freshly made for me. I’m still glad I got to try so much stuff, especially the sweet dishes I’d never order on their own. Neither Alex nor I ate again until after 8:00 p.m., so this “brunch” really filled the role of two meals!



Ramsi's Cafe on the World on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment