Friday, May 7, 2010

A Brief Break from Eating, and my first Green Monster

I had my impacted wisdom teeth removed on Wednesday, something I probably should have had done five years ago, when a dentist first suggested it and before I was on a high deductible health plan.

I imagined that afterward, I’d be lounging on the couch, watching movies and sipping smoothies. Well, that didn’t happen. Instead, it was all I could do to get a little soymilk down so my pain pills didn’t make me too loopy, and I ate store-bought soup pretty much straight from the tetra boxes it came in. And I slept. And slept, and slept some more.

On the third day, I began feeling better. I still can’t chew, but I was able to make myself some food this morning. Good, because I was hungry!

I decided to be a little adventurous and try a Green Monster, a green smoothie. I know people both online and in real life who love these things, but I’d never tried them. Maybe I was a little scared of the spinach and banana, or maybe I can blame it on not liking to pull out my blender. Anyway, I figured this was a good time to give it a go – and I’m a convert! It’s sweet from the banana and even the baby spinach is sweet. The soymilk and banana give it nice body.

005

I made the simple “Virgin Green Monster” since this was my first time. I left out the flax because seeds are on my bad list until my gums heal completely. This smoothie was made with baby spinach, a banana, soymilk, and ice. That’s it. It was yummy. I told my mom about it, and she seemed skeptical. I asked Alex to try a sip, and I think he either pretended to sip it or took the tiniest sip in history. More for me, right? So if you’ve been on the fence about trying the green monster, give a try.

1 comment:

  1. It looks tasty (and I am envious that your grass is so green there!).

    ReplyDelete