Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sweet Potatoes and Caramelized Onions!

patty 008

Another night of vegetables? Yes, please! Honestly, I’m a little surprised Alex ate anything I cooked here besides the sweet potatoes. I made brown basmati rice, black-eyed peas, and collard greens. Yes, collard greens. After my newfound love of kale, I decided to branch out and try some different greens. These were delicious.

I’ve never cooked collard greens before, but I kept it simple: I put some oil in a large pot, added the greens, doused them with a small amount of broth (3/4 cup for a lot of greens) and steamed them for about 10 minutes. Then I gave a quick splash of salt and vinegar. Yum!

patty 005The star of the meal, though, was the sweet potato puree.

I happened to be watching basic cable in a hotel room Sunday morning and I couldn’t take my eye off this puree of onions and sweet potatoes.

It’s this recipe by Claire Robinson of the 5-Ingredient Fix. Because Alex and I both love onions and sweet potatoes, I figured it was worth a shot. It was surprising, and although not bad, I’d rather do the chunks of sweet potato with maple and pecans like we did on Thanksgiving again.

The puree is made of roasted chunks of sweet potato along with olive oil and maple syrup. Separately caramelize a sweet onion in butter (or in my case, Earth Balance). In my photos, the sweet potatoes were done but the onions cooked much more – this is an in-progress shot.

Then, puree the sweet potatoes with some of the onions, leaving some to go on top. There you have it!

2 comments:

  1. C.'s favorite food is onions. Mine is sweet potatoes. Sounds like the perfect dish for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's worth a shot. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete