Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Colcannon

Sunday morning, I heard some talk on the radio about Irish food, the nutritional worth of potatoes, and colcannon. Colcannon is mashed potatoes with greens, anything from kale to broccoli, along with plenty of milk and butter. I’d been craving some greens anyway, so I was eager to make this dish with potatoes and kale. I've mentioned before how much I love potatoes. After eating out for the past few days and spending the others eating leftovers or simple casseroles, I was ready to have my own fresh, nice winter dinner.

I looked at a few different colcannon recipes, and I ended up using the one right off The Splendid Table website from the story that piqued my interest. As usual, I made substitutions for the dairy and cut the portions. This was pretty good, but I think I’d rather have kale and mashed potatoes separately. Or maybe I’d try it again with broccoli.

This also took me three pots: one for steaming the potatoes, one for sautéing the kale, and one for simmering the cashew milk and mashing everything together. If I hadn’t used a small pot for the potatoes, I guess I could have gotten by with two.

colcannon cake 040 Colcannon: potatoes, kale, scallions, Earth Balance, and cashew milk.

Served with roasted cauliflower and tofu. I followed Honey’s example and left the tofu in a large block, and I had half a head of cauliflower left over from this soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment