Friday, February 5, 2010

Cream of Celery (and Carrot) Soup

I just got my first Farm Fresh Delivery order Wednesday night. I have been impatiently waiting for this, ever since I decided to start ordering with them. You should have seen me all day Wednesday, waiting on it to come, checking out the window and the front door. I also had my camera ready. The bin finally arrived after I'd gone out for the night and Alex unpacked it while i was gone. The idea behind the service is that you get a bin of fresh, organic produce delivered weekly or bi-weekly and you can add other products (eggs, grains, etc.) from their market. This is a great idea, and I'm certainly happy with the results, but it's one of those marks of privilege that I can even consider doing something like this.

One downside to doing this (although it’s a true “opportunity” in the buzz-word sense) is that I don’t get to choose exactly what I get. Instead, I just get a certain amount of fruits and vegetables. This week, I got mushrooms, celery, lettuce, cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, shallots, apples, oranges, and tangerines.

Of all that, I found the celery most challenging to use. Typically I keep some in the fridge and use a stalk or two at time to put in soup or casseroles, or even to eat raw with peanut butter or dips and salads. Well, I already had some celery in the fridge and when I got this new delivery, I searched for ways to use it. I found this recipe for cream of cauliflower soup on Food Network’s website. I made it almost exactly, although I substituted cashew cream for cow’s milk cream.

Soup 013

It was pretty good. I don’t know that the un-pureed chunks of carrot and celery added much, so I might not bother with cooking those separately in the future. That just made things more complicated and dirtied another pot. And like some of the comments mention, using orange carrots turns the celery soup orange. I liked it, though. So did Alex, and we have just enough for one bowl leftover. I really, really, really like it when we eat almost all our food so we’re not looking at it for days on end trying to finish it.

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to join one of those local food co-ops. My sister did it for awhile, but stopped when she ended up not using everything in the box. I think it would be a fun challenge to try to use everything before it goes bad.

    The soup looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete