Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Restaurant: Pomodori Pizza

I am definitely an equal opportunity pizza lover. I enjoy all kinds of pizza, from frozen Red Baron or California Pizza Kitchens, homemade, Papa John’s, Dewey’s and Mio’s, and many others. So when I saw Pomodori Pizza nominated in Metromix Cincinnati for best pizza, I knew we had to give it a try.

They actually have two locations, one in Clifton and one in Montgomery, and we went to the Clifton location on Saturday night a few weeks ago. I was almost expecting it to be full of college kids, but we were the youngest diners there! I have seen some reviews that say this pizza is too expensive, so that might keep away some students. I didn’t think it was overpriced (especially considering I got two meals out of mine), but I know I ate as cheaply as possible when I was a student.

We were seated right next to the hand-tossed pizza station and were able to watch these two roll, toss, top, and bake individual pizzas. They also serve larger “traditional” or “Sicilian” pizzas, deep-dish and Chicago-style stuffed pizzas, calzones, pasta, salads, and sandwiches. We each ordered a wood-fired pizza. Our waitress said they serve 1-2 people; I ate about half of mine and Alex finished his.

I was very happy to order my own pizza. There are a two foods I love and Alex doesn’t like: olives and artichokes. So, I ordered the Gourmet Pizza which included green and black olives and artichokes, as well as bell peppers, red onions, mushrooms, cheese, and pesto. Yum! The pizza dough was nice and chewy and it held up well with the plentiful toppings.

restaurant 007 Gourmet Wood-Fired Pizza, $11.35

Alex chose the Roma & Basil wood-fired pizza, but requested that it be made with tomato sauce instead of garlic and olive oil. This pizza included slices of Roma tomato, generous fresh basil leaves, red onions, and a five-cheese blend. He enjoyed his as well and ate the entire pizza, saying “this should go into the rotation.” That’s a very positive response from him, meaning that he wants to come back regularly.

restaurant 008 Roma and Basil Wood-Fired Pizza, with tomato sauce, $10.80

By the time we finished, we’d both had enough to eat, but one thing to keep in mind is that they make a really good Apple Pizza for dessert. I say “really good” based not only on appearance, but also based on the number that were ordered while we were there. They have fresh Granny Smith apples that are peeled and cored on a contraption that does this so quickly with a few vigorous cranks, and then the pizza is finished with caramel sauce and ricotta. I think we would have certainly gotten that if we were splitting it four ways instead of two. Come to think of it, maybe we should go back soon!


Pomodori's Pizzeria on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment