Monday, October 19, 2009

Vegetarian Road Trip!

We set out on the 570 mile journey to Philadelphia last Wednesday and had energy and enthusiasm, enjoying a midweek reprieve from work and nice, if chilly, traveling weather. We stopped for lunch when we were less than two hours from home, figuring that we'd have better luck getting a good meal in our bellies in the Columbus suburbs than in rural eastern Ohio.

Find a good meal we did -- we stumbled upon Feta Greek Kuzina in a shopping center in Pickerington, just east of Columbus. We went in looking for a quick lunch, taking a cue from the drive-thru, but inside was a sit-down restaurant. We were in and out in about half an hour, and the food was well worth it. Too bad this place isn't near us so we could return for a longer visit. If we could come back hungrier, we would try an appetizer and linger over dessert.

When we sat down, we were brought a spicy pesto dipping sauce and warm pita triangles. A waitress told us they grow their own herbs for this sauce, and it was little spicier than normal today because they left in some of the pepper seeds. We both really enjoyed it, I'll have to look into a recipe for this and try it next spring when my basil comes back.

There were several vegetarian options, including salads, sandwiches, and pasta dishes. I ordered the falafel salad, which was a large helping of lettuce, bell peppers, tomato, onions, cucumbers, banana peppers, kalmata olives, feta, and parsley, with four falafel patties on top and a creamy garlic house dressing and hummus. This was a lot of food; in fact, I gave one of my falafels to Alex and had plenty to eat with the remaining three. It was printed on the menu, and the waitress warned me, that the olives had pits in them; I guess they must have had some problems with this in the past.


I really liked the falafel. It wasn't greasy, and it was just spicy enough to be flavorful. I'm also a huge fan of all the veggies in the salad. After tasting Alex's sandwich with the dressing already mixed in, I'm thankful mine was served on the side.

Alex got the feta sandwich and rice pilaf, which he really enjoyed. It was basically my salad, minus the olives and falafel, wrapped up in pita. I found it to be a little overdressed, but that might be part of the appeal for Alex. That garlic dressing was very good. He also told me he really liked that the foil is twisted up like a fish tail, mirroring the wacky fish plates we ate from.


Sadly, this was the food highlight of the road travel part of our trip. We didn't eat again until we arrived, and on the way back we were tired and eager to be home, so we stopped at the vegetarian's last resort: Subway. Don't get me wrong, those sandwiches are good and fresh and I expect them to be available every few exits. We stopped at a location inside a truck stop, though, and the guy asked me three times if I was sure I didn't want meat on my footlong. Another person working in the booth came over to see what the "Veggie Delite" is because she'd never heard of it, either. I am not kidding. Alex remarked that this is how Jared got skinny.

1 comment:

  1. She had never heard of a veggie delight - ha! Classic.

    (Do you watch The Next Iron Chef? One of the chefs was assigned ratatouille -- and he added MEAT to it to "add flavor." I thought of you. People can't just leave a good veggie thing alone, can they?)

    ReplyDelete