Monday, October 5, 2009

"Party" squash casserole

I visited my aunt and uncle over Labor Day and we had this dish for supper; when I back to get a little more, the entire casserole was gone. I snapped a photo of the recipe card, partly to have a copy of the recipe to try at home and partly as a memoir of my grandmother's cooking. I gathered up what yellow squash I could find now that it's early fall and gave it a try myself.

From veggie cookie

Start by boiling 5 medium squash with a bit of salt until they're tender, then drain and mash.

Meanwhile, combine the rest of the ingredients. I put them right into the casserole dish. What a strange mix! I think this is a recipe that I would not dare to try just from reading it.

1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon sugar. Looking back at the recipe, I am almost sure that I forgot to put in the sugar.
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Cracker crumbs or bread crumbs for topping

Mix everything except the crumbs in the casserole dish, top with the crumbs, and bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes.

I enjoyed this, but it's certainly the kind of casserole you don't eat a big serving of. I think next time I'll have to reduce the mayonnaise. I really like the pecans in the casserole and I don't think I noticed the bell pepper much at all. I did stick to the measurements, so there was a tiny amount of bell pepper compared to the other ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment