Friday, October 9, 2009

Banana Bread and trying vegan baking

There is a wealth of information on the web for vegan baking. I figured a good place to start was with banana bread because the batter should be easy enough to adjust; plus, I'm taking advantage of the colder fall weather to use the oven more often. I'm always happy to reduce the animal products I use in cooking, and this was just great the way it was.



This is a super-easy banana bread that's pretty healthy except all the sugar in it. After making this, I'm not sure what the recipes that call for oil and butter are getting from that addition.

Here's how I did it: mash 4 ripe bananas with 1/2 cup applesauce, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 3/4 cup sugar. Separately combine 2 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Throw in some pecans or walnuts if you want. Bake at 350F for one hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment