Tuesday, October 13, 2009

This is how we do it: Philly Cheesesteak

From veggie cookie


I have never actually had a Philly cheesesteak. I'll sheepishly admit to having the artichoke sandwich from Penn Station along with a huge portion of those fresh-cut, skin-on fries. Yum, yum, yum. But even in my pre-veg days, I never tried a cheesesteak. I did once have a middling seitan sandwich imitating a cheesesteak in Reading Terminal Market, but I remember it being chewy and tough.

Alex, of course, is a fan of the real thing. That's my Philly boy for you.

So in honor of the Phillies in the playoffs, we made cheesesteaks at home. I cooked up some veggies to go with the Lightelife steak style strips, and the sandwich was a winner. I sliced red onion, mushrooms, green bell pepper, and cooked these with the fake meat in a skillet. To make it authentically Philly-style, put some cheese on top of your veggies, then place the bread on top and cover for a minute or so to steam the bread.

Honestly, I'd prefer to eat the veggies in a sandwich on their own, but Alex gave the steak strips a thumbs-up.

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious! I love your version of this classic sandwich :) I came across your site on the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete