Sunday, August 9, 2009

What do I eat when I don't cook?

I have debated whether to post about eating out, and I've decided that it might be fun to share some of my favorite restaurant dishes as they come across my lips. Generally when I cook, I'm using or adapting a recipe from a cookbook, a website, or a cooking show, if I'm not taking the "semi-homemade" route. There are, however, a few times when I've taken a restaurant recipe and tried to recreate it at home. One in particular I'm thinking of is the T.B.M. Melt from Cosi, which I love but can't get locally. There are many other times when the combination of ingredients or the tools or skill involved prohibit me from trying the dish at home.

This morning I went to brunch at Melt, a restaurant that has a focus on vegan food, although they offer a variety of non-vegan food as well (both meat and dairy). The first time we went there was for dinner, but we've been back for sandwiches as well as brunch. This morning I made the mistake of leaving home without checking their hours, only to find that they open at 11 a.m. We walked around Northside Cincinnati for about 15 minutes and then were the second people in the door when Melt opened. After we ordered we witnessed a non-stop line of hungry brunchers.

I got the Rosemary Redskin Mess, which includes redskin potatoes topped with thinly sliced, well-cooked green bell peppers and onions, mushrooms, fresh spinach, tofu scramble, roma tomatoes, and vegan cheez. They are now offering this with eggs and re
al cheese, although I went for the tofu. This also comes with your choice of side -- I got fruit, and it was delicious: melon, grapes, and pineapple.


My husband got the veggie bacon and egg biscuit and it was delicious as well; I tried a few bites and the biscuit was simply incredible.
The fake bacon was good too; much better than what I've been able to buy in the grocery stores. Although I've not been much for fake meat, I'm not one to dismiss it either. After all, it seems to be what keeps us happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment