Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Oh wait -- that's already vegetarian! Part 2

Yesterday I shared my veggie lasagna, which is a very easy recipe and yet still one I've perfected through trial and error.

Here's another recipe that can be adapted for your personal taste Pot Pie! It's popular at our house. I always imagine Pot Pie! ending with an exclamation.


You'll need: 2 cans condensed soup, like cream of mushroom; fresh veggies: 3-4 small red potatoes, 1 carrot, 1/2 onion, 2-3 stalks celery, 15 mushrooms; frozen veggies: peas, corn, lima beans, green beans - whatever you like and whatever you have. Top with crescent rolls or biscuit dough.

I think the fresh veggies really make this meal for me, but again this is the labor intensive part with the peeling, chopping, dicing, and slicing. I start by peeling and dicing the potatoes, then cooking them in a skillet with a small amount of margarine. I usually cover them and cook them for about 10 minutes to give them a good head start and reduce the oven time. After 10 minutes, I add the chopped onion, carrot, and celery and cook for another 5 minutes. Finally, I add the sliced mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

In your casserole dish, empty the soup cans. I used Campbell's low fat cream of mushroom. I add a little salt and pepper, but be careful not to over-salt as the soup is salty already. Add the fresh veggies from the skillet and be sure to include any liquid as well to help thin out the soup. Finally, mix in the frozen veggies and use as little or as much as you like.

Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes. This is usually enough time if the potatoes are already cooked on the stovetop.

Remove the casserole and turn up the oven to the temperature on your directions for your topper. Normally I use crescent rolls, but this time I used biscuits made from an SM pouch mix. Yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment