Sunday, August 16, 2009

Summer Corn Soup

I found this recipe on a "healthy cooking" calendar at work. We've been eating a good bit of fresh corn this summer and I was excited to try this recipe. Once I got the corn off the cobs, it was pretty easy, and we both really liked it. I think I'd do it again!


1 sweet onion, finely diced
10 ears of corn, kernels removed
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups vegetable broth
1-2 teaspoons cumin

Saute the onion in the oil for a few minutes to get it started cooking. Add all the corn and saute for another 5 minutes. Add the broth and cumin and simmer for 15 minutes.

There are two places where the way I cooked this varied from the recipe. First, the recipe called for chipotle added with the broth. I think that might have been good; I just didn't have any. Second, the recipe says to put the soup in the blender and strain before serving. I put about half in the blender and left the rest un-pureed. I liked having some whole corn kernels in the soup. With this method, I do recommend dicing the onions finely.

The soup was really sweet and of course had a strong corn flavor. It was just interesting enough to not be too corny.

No comments:

Post a Comment