Thursday, August 27, 2009

Another salad: Napa & Ramen

I've had a few variations of the napa cabbage and ramen noodles salad in my life, most recently as one of the sides at Salt of the Earth. I looked up some recipes online and of course made some adjustments. One that I found had you melt butter and toast the ramen in butter, but there was just too much butter, so here's my version, with a few variations. I took a few notes from this recipe, especially reducing the amount of oil and total amount of dressing. Maybe my head of cabbage was just too small; I didn't need all the dressing I made.


Ingredients:
1 head napa cabbage, shredded
6 green onions, chopped

2 Tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 package (3 oz) ramen noodles, broken into pieces
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1/4 cup slivered almonds or cocktail peanuts

Dressing:
1/4 cup vinegar (I used regular white vinegar; other recipes call for rice or cider)
1/2 cup oil
1/3 cup white sugar
2 Tablespoons soy sauce

Combine the shredded cabbage and the green onions.

Melt the butter in a skillet and add the ramen, sesame seeds, and nuts. Toast lightly until the nuts are fragrant. Cool. In my photo I used the oven as one recipe instructed, but I'd go the skillet route next time. I think that gives the same effect with more control and less energy.

Mix all the dressing ingredients.

Combine the crunchy ingredients with the greens and dressing just prior to serving. I put leftovers in three separate containers in the refrigerator to combine and eat later and it was just perfect. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment