Thursday, September 2, 2010

Eggless & Olives Sandwich

When I was a kid, one of the sandwiches my mother loved to make was something we called eggs and olives. It was basically an egg salad made with loads of green olives. I’ve never been an egg lover, but this sandwich was a favorite because there’s so much good olive flavor.

010

Alex doesn’t like olives, so this is something I will get to enjoy all by myself. Although I’ve made a great tempeh not-chicken salad, I wanted to veganize eggs and olives by using tofu. You don’t really need a recipe, but I checked out a tofu "egg" salad recipe.

I don’t have a recipe to share with you because I didn’t make any precise measurements. Basically, I pressed a block of firm tofu, kept half for another recipe, and diced half for this salad. I used Vegenaise and mixed in some of the liquid from my jarred green olives, along with some turmeric and cumin. Then I folded in the tofu and copious sliced green olives. That’s it.

I actually made this last night and enjoyed a sandwich for lunch today, on toast, with lettuce and a generous sprinkle of seasoned salt.

015

I eat lunch at home almost every day, so it’s great that I don’t have to buy a ready-made lunch, but sometimes I get weary of eating leftovers, especially when I don’t want two hot meals in a day. I doubt I’ll eat eggless and olives often, but it’s a nice treat and it’s comforting to enjoy a better version of a longtime favorite. (The Beanie Burger Biscuit Pie is coming, I promise, as soon as it’s oven weather again.)

I’ve never met anyone else who has heard of this kind of sandwich. What do you think, is this weirdo food? Mother, are you reading this? How did you come up with this? Would you try it with tofu?

8 comments:

  1. I think it sounds totally delicious! I've never been a huge egg fan myself, but I'd eat this salad by the boatload!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mihl. I'd pile the tomatoes on top of the sanwich as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this dish, but I love olives so I would eat it for sure - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to put olives in my deviled eggs so this makes complete sense to me. Sounds like a great sandwich! Thanks for sharing it.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sandwich looks good, but I'm with Alex on the olives. :o) I made an "egg" salad a while back and have been wanting to make some more, but by using half the tofu this time like you did.

    Do you have any suggestions of a place to eat lunch in Memphis, that is vegan friendly but has food my husband could eat? Hopefully we are going to be making a trip to WF soon. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Smokes, this looks good! I've made eggless versions with tofu before but never with green olives. But this looks really good. I'm going to have to try this out. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of it before but I would definitely try it! (The vegan version, not the egg version)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of it before either, but I am sure you could make it with some tofu :)

    ReplyDelete