Thursday, December 17, 2009

Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Seriously yummy.



I think we all have those treats that we crave year to year. I can't quite explain why I love oatmeal cookies, but they are my favorite treat. I love how chewy they are, I love how well they accept raisins and walnuts or pecans, and I love the way they smell -- oats and cinnamon and brown sugar.

One thing I'm consciously trying to eat less is eggs. Honestly, I don't really care for eggs, save the occasional frittata loaded with veggies and cooked well done, but I use them for baking and binding ingredients. For these cookies, I left out the eggs. I used the recipe on Quaker Oatmeal canister and substituted Ener-G mixed with water for the egg, and also using the much-lauded Earth Balance in place of butter or regular margarine.

Ener-G egg replacer is made of potato starch, tapioca starch, and other leavening ingredients and mimics what eggs do in recipes. It's a powder that I mixed with a bit of water and added to the cookie dough in place of eggs. I think it did the trick -- cookies spread out a little more than I'm used to, but there was nothing at all wrong with this batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment