Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Spinach & Mushroom Enchiladas


It's no secret that I love mushrooms. And spinach. And enchiladas. So, naturally, the time came for me to attempt to make my own. I viewed several recipes online. After cooking this, I came to the realization that I need to improve my ability to figure out whether I'll like a recipe by reading the ingredients. This was pretty good, but, as usual, I'll be making some modifications if I do it again.

I got the recipe from Food TV. It caught my eye because it didn't include canned enchilada sauce, and I wanted to make my own rather than use prepared sauce.

For the Sauce:

2 (10-ounce) cans tomatoes with chiles
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon chopped oregano leaves
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Simmer all the ingredients for 15-20 minutes or until the onion is tender. Because I used fresh cilantro, I added that at the end. After simmering the sauce, use an immersion blender to puree the ingredients and smooth it out into a sauce.

For the enchiladas:

1 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1(10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess water
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon minced chipotle in adobo (optional)
1 lime, juiced
Shredded cheese
Tortillas - I wanted corn tortillas but my grocery store was out of them. I had a very bad shopping experience on this day, and I won't bore you with the details.

Saute the onion in a large skillet, then add the garlic and mushrooms and cook until tender. Add the thawed spinach. Combine the milk and cornstarch separately, then add that mixture along with the spices and lime juice to the skillet and cook another minute until everything is warmed through. Add some cheese if you like. I used a very little bit of a Kraft taco blend.

Pour some sauce in your dish to coat the bottom. Warm your tortillas and fill each with the spinach and mushroom mixture. I find it easy enough to palm the tortilla, spoon the filling onto it, the roll it side over side and place folded side down into the casserole dish. After each enchilada is rolled, pour the remaining sauce over them and more cheese if you like. Bake, uncovered, at 375F for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment