Thursday, September 17, 2009

My Sweetie Sweet Supper - Mango Couscous

This is one of those whole meals that I make from time to time as a staple in our household. Blushing, I call it my sweet supper for my sweet fella.


Menu:
Setian in Island Mango sauce by World Harbors
Grilled vegetables: usually at least yellow squash, sweet onions, and red bell pepper
Couscous
Hawaiian sweet rolls

I introduced Alex to the sweet rolls and he loves them. I do too. Leave out the rolls and the menu is vegan. I chunk the veggies into large pieces, coat them lightly in oil, sugar, and salt, and put them all on a foil sheet and throw them on the grill. As you can see in my photo, some parts (the sugary parts) are browned pretty well, but this is a great way to eat veggies and this colorful, tasty variety is my favorite mix.

Now, the setian in sauce is super easy and the rolls are straight from the bag; I'd typically use a packaged mix of couscous as well but I've decided to make this more interesting by trying a new recipe. I turned to the Internet and found the same recipe twice for Mango Couscous -- once on Oprah's website and once on this fun food blog. No wonder it's the same recipe, they both attribute it to Marcus Samuelsson. So, I'll give it a try.

Ingredients:

1 mango, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, finely chopped


1 tomato, cubed
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 lime, juiced

1 cup couscous, cooked according to package directions. Set the couscous aside while you prepare the other ingredients.

Olive oil
salt

Cook the mango and jalapeno in 1 teaspoon olive oil for one minute. Add the garlic and cook another half a minute.

Then add the remaining ingredients: couscous, tomato, cilantro, lime juice, a bit of salt, and another teaspoon of olive oil. Cook for another minute. Can be served warm or at room temperature. I made this first, then the rest of the supper, so it was room temperature and tasty for us.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy.
    Dumb question - what is seitan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! Seitan is wheat gluten. It's got more of a toothy meat texture than tofu has, and it's super easy to cook. All you have to do is heat it up. Usually we just heat it in a sauce pan with, well, sauce. Sometimes barbecue sauce, sometimes bottle marinades, sometimes buffalo wing sauce.

    ReplyDelete