Thursday, September 24, 2009

Brazilian Black Bean Soup

This is what we ate with the spinach and mushroom enchiladas. Again, this is a recipe I found in the Horizons cookbook. It's actually one of the first recipes I tried earlier this year because it seems pretty simple. Of course, I made it again because it is very good. I'll put the whole recipe here, but I cut it in half.


Ingredients:
2 quarts vegetable stock
6 cups black beans
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 green chile, chopped (I used a jalapeno, you can use anaheim or habanero if you like)
2 tablespoons Latin spice blend (by now, I have a container ready to go!)
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Simmer the stock, beans, onion, garlic, chile, and spices for 10 minutes.

The directions here allow you some choice: leave the soup brothy, puree half, or puree it all. I used my immersion blender to puree all the soup. I think I'd be fine with some whole beans in the soup, but I like my onions creamed for this dish.

Add the coconut milk and tomatoes, then simmer an additional 2-3 minutes.

Serve with cilantro and lime wedges, if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment