Monday, October 25, 2010

Super Easy Taco Soup

I find many, many recipes I want to make from the blogs I read. Among my friends? Not so much. When I learned that a friend made vegetarian soup, I couldn’t wait to try it.

011

I’ve mentioned my monthly dinners at Ronald McDonald House before. (And after the next time I go, I’ll write more about that.) Everyone brings something, and after the residents eat, we’ll usually eat some leftover food and hang out for a bit. Typically I’ll stick to my own food, but when a friend mentioned that her soup was vegetarian, I gave it a try.

Yes, I quizzed her about any possible chicken broth or other animal ingredients, and that’s when she shared the recipe. This soup is mostly beans, and that’s certainly fine by me! Plus it’s super easy. If you just open cans, it’s really really really easy. I used frozen corn, frozen beans that I’d cooked from dry beans, and mixed my own seasoning from my ever-growing spice cabinet, and it was still easy.

Taco Bean Soup

  • 2 cups, or 1 can black beans
  • 2 cups, or 1 can pinto beans
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, or Ro-Tel style green chiles and tomatoes
  • 2 cups, or 1 can corn
  • Broth or water, or even the liquid from cans, to make soup desired consistency
  • 1 can refried beans, or 2 cups pinto beans, pureed
  • Taco seasoning mix (recipe here) or store bought pouch

Combine all ingredients and heat through. The refried beans mixed with the water (or liquid from cans) makes the soup broth really thick. I like the sweet pop of the corn, too. This concoction is similar to a chili, but different. At least to me.

Top as desired with cilantro, Better Than Sour Cream, jalapenos, or just eat plain or with cornbread or corn chips.

I used my homegrown jalapeno and a bit of Better Than Sour Cream on top, along with some corn chips. This made a big pot of soup (and next time I’ll include more tomatoes so I expect it to be even bigger) but we both ate all the leftovers really quickly. That’s how I judge a good recipe.

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like the chili I ate on Sunday. Thanks for explaining how it's made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking the other day that I was ready to make some taco soup. This sounds very similar to the one that I make. I've never used refried beans in it though, but it sure sounds good! I'll have to make this...that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a pretty photo of the soup. I love the little homegrown jalapeno slices...sounds like a perfect way to enjoy them. Interesting how you use the bean puree to create the base...sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good soup. I am looking forward to hearing more about your time at the Ronald McDonald House.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. taco soup! w00t! it looks awesome and sounds deeelicious and easy, indeeds. sign me up! think i'm gonna make something like this monday for my dinner. it's supposed to be cooler here next week and i love soup to keep me warm 'n happyfaced. sweet gloriousness on the taco seasoning recipe link as well. totally gonna start using that for many of our mexi themed yumminesses. yay!

    ReplyDelete