Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Not so Fast Food at Home

Do you ever get a new cookbook and have trouble deciding what to make first? Usually I’ll flip through until something catches my eye, or other times I’ll look for a recipe that uses ingredients I want to use. For my first recipe from American Vegan Kitchen, I made the recipe the author said she liked best when I heard her speak at Books by the Banks.

034

This is the All-American Incrediburger, shown here topped with rice cheeze. I have a side of tots, baked beans, and (can you see it in back?) steamed yellow squash and zucchini thrown in for good measure. Eat your veggies, kids!

These burgers are made from TVP and wheat gluten; Alex was pleased to finally have a burger that doesn’t contain beans. They are steamed in foil and then grilled on a grill pan. Mine looks a little pink, which must be from the paprika, seasoned salt, and tomato paste.

The pickles are homemade. I like them sliced really thinly, and I used fresh dill. I’m still perfecting my pickle recipe, but I am really impressed by how easy and tasty homemade pickles are.

And if any of you don’t have the cookbook yet, good news: you can find the complete recipe here, on Vegan Appetite.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! That burger looks amazing and sounds really "meaty." And tater tots! I don't remember the last time I had those...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The burger does look yummy! I'll have to check out that recipe. There are so many cookbooks that I want. I'm making a list, so hopefully I will get some of them for Christmas....if I can wait that long. ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read many bloggers making Tami's incrediburgers and loving them! I won her cookbook through a blog giveaway, and I really have to start getting in to it.

    That's a very appetizing shot, and yes, I do see the beans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Link doesn't work for me;-(
    It looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I didn't mean to tease. There was an extra letter at the end... fixed, if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete