Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Chocolate Oat Balls

I’ve probably mentioned a time or two that I don’t typically do desserts, but Alex really likes his sweets. So I decided to do something nice for him and make some sweets. That, and he washed my car. What can I say, I’ve been enjoying them too. I’m even having one now to refresh my memory and give a proper account of them. For you.

I love oatmeal desserts, much more than I love actual oatmeal. So I started with a recipe for Maple Nut Oaties from Heather Eats Almond Butter. Except I used a lot more oats. They were just too sticky and wouldn’t ball up properly, so I kept adding oats.

This recipe was really easy, and the most difficult part was balling them up. That, however, gave me ample opportunity to eat sweetened raw oats from my fingers. You do bake these little balls. There’s only so much uncooked oats a girl can stomach.

004

Oat Balls made with chocolate, peanut butter, walnuts, and shredded coconut

It’s funny how we’ll take a recipe and change it up, but then keep other aspects of it. Like rolling these little guys into balls because that’s what the original says to do, but then changing the ingredients and the name. I did that because the chocolate is pretty dominant here. I cut the amount of maple syrup and used some brown rice syrup, so the chocolate was the star (like in any proper dessert).

I’m not a great baker, probably because I have little patience for precise measurements, so the beauty of these oaties is that you can mix in whatever you want as long as they roll back together. You can take a look at Heather’s original recipe or at what I did, or even try your own. Let me tell you, if you think cookies are fun, these little balls are way funner.

4 comments:

  1. Great idea to add extra oats and less sugar and they look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love desserts, oatmeal and chocolate. These sound perfect and would probably make a great travel snack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum..those look and sound delish. They wouldn't last long at my house!

    ReplyDelete