Monday, August 1, 2011

Excitement and Embarrassment

Let’s start with the embarrassment, in case that’s the only reason you’re reading this at all. I have been cooking, and I have some things to share, but I’ve also been eating out—and craving comfort food. For me, that’s fries and beer.

There’s one place around here, Allyn’s, where Alex and I like to go … and the last time we were there, our waitress knew we wanted veggie burgers. It’s entirely likely that we are the only patrons that order them, and it seems like we’ve been going weekly lately. So we were recognized. And that embarrasses me, but maybe it shouldn’t. It’s not going to stop me from going back.

photo (4)

This is a house-made veggie patty, and it tastes like cornbread with black beans, onions, and other veggies tossed in. I actually just eat the burger and garnish and leave the bun. They also have a variety of hot sauces at each table and I usually slather some on, especially the chipotle or mustard sauces.

Recently Updated2

It’s one of our favorites, and it comes with a side of fries for $5.95. I say: what a deal! Quick, cheap, reliable, and open late – and we get two burgers and two beers for around $22.

So, it’s been almost a month since I’ve even unloaded my memory card. I found some really good food memories! One thing I’ve been wanting for a while – but have been putting off until we move and possibly get a bigger kitchen – is an ice cream maker. Well, I found a tiny half-pint one at Target on sale for $20 and went for it.

2011-07-31

I haven’t taken time to try out any recipes yet, but I did make some fro-yo with blueberry Silk. As in, just put the yogurt in and turn it on. Easy peasy!

So guys, this summer has found me focusing on work and trying to get a new job. Cross your fingers for me – all the interviews (and presentations) have been completed, and now I’m just waiting to hear!

9 comments:

  1. Good luck with the interview process!!! I bet you'll just shine! And I love it when places know my order :) That veggie burger does sound great sans bun--and you can't beat fies & beer. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wouldn't feel too embarrassed. We are totally that way at our favorite local Thai place...they always know a few particulars about our order, even though we don't always order the same things.

    I'm with you, comfort food eating out involves fried stuff/and or Thai food, and definitely beer.

    I'm intrigued with the cornbread-like burger; sounds good, but can see why you wouldn't want to eat something cornbread-like in between two other pieces of bread. Or do you always cast the bun aside?

    I have an ice cream maker I never use...too much hassle. But just throwing some yogurt in there is genius! I think I'll try that.

    Good luck with the job process! I know you'll do well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with all the job stuff! I've sort of been trying to change jobs for the past year and a half and obviously it isn't going well, haha.
    The burger sounds great. I'd probably get a little embarrassed as well but there's worse that have happened to people. If it helps, I dried my hands on a toilet seat cover the other day, thinking it was paper towels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could mail you fresh peas/beans! They are everywhere here, but I know it's definitely a very southern/TN thing to eat peas all summer. If you come to Nashville, definitely go by the Farmer's market-they have them for a good 4 months of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of Allyn's other patrons should feel embarrassed for passing up the incredible veggie patty. (I like to save the buns for my feathered friends).

    Good luck on the job hunt. Make sure you let them know you expect lots of mugs, tshirts and beer cozies in addition to your salary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on the job front. You staying in Cincy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think you should be embarrassed because you and Alex are recognized. I think that's a good thing. We are recognized at the Mexican place where we eat at all the time. They always know what I want. I think it's pretty cool! :o)
    I want an ice cream maker too. I found one on Amazon.com that I want for around $50. I'm to cheap to fork out the money for it right now though. That's great that you found that one at Target.
    Good luck on your job hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the well wishes! I am still waiting to hear ... and if I get it, I will still work from home but we are moving to Philadelphia to be nearer the office. And the mother in law.

    So, it doesn't look like any fresh peas for me. That's a nice memory from my youth, and luckily I had some once this summer.

    It's almost time for Allyn's again... I'll see if they recognize me. Maybe I'd feel differently if the cute waiter was the one who remembered me :)

    ReplyDelete