Monday, January 4, 2010

Mac and No Cheese

When I saw a recipe for Macaroni and Cheese Florentine in the slow cooker cookbook I just got, I was eager to try it. Of course, upon closer inspection, it's a no-cheese version of mac and cheese. I made something akin to this, but with canellini beans pureed in the sauce as well. I combined the two recipes. So the macaroni had a sauce of sautéed onions and garlic, cashew milk, nutritional yeast, spices, and beans.

The amount of work involved in this is contrary to the spirit of the slow cooker, in my opinion, and when I try this again, I may use that web recipe instead. The macaroni was boiled ahead of time, the spinach was cooked, the onions were cooked in a skillet, and the no-cheese sauce was edible straight from the blender. Putting the combination in the Crock Pot was overkill.

That said, this was a pretty tasty macaroni casserole recipe. I don't think it could replace macaroni and cheese when I want that (right now my favorite is the frozen Trader Joe's variety), but it's certainly healthier, and I like me some spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment