Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Comfort Food, Cornbread Casserole

This dish is something I tossed together for a quick and hearty dinner. It’s not something I invented, but I didn’t follow a recipe either. I was hungry for this kind of food, so the best way for me to get it is to make it myself. It was go-oo-od. I think that's a new level in the tasty scale of yumminess.

Ingredients:

Cornbread (from a mix, or homemade)
8 oz. Frozen corn, divided
1 bag Morningstar Crumbles, or your favorite variety
1 cup Black beans (rinsed and drained from a can, or dried and cooked)
Canned tomatoes with diced chiles
Mushrooms
Shredded cheddar cheese

restaurant 030

Begin by cleaning and quartering the mushrooms. Cook in a skillet 3-4 minutes, then add the crumbles (I defrost first for a minute or two), black beans, half the corn, and the tomatoes. Stir together and season with salt and pepper. Add shredded cheese. I used about 1/2 cup because I was trying not to go overboard. This would be good with more cheese if you like, or no cheese if you like.

Separately, make the cornbread according to your favorite directions. I also add the other half of the frozen corn to the cornbread mix. This addition was Alex's special request. I used the Little Crow Miracle Maize brand and made it with soymilk and Ener-G egg replacer.

Transfer the crumble mixture to a casserole dish. I used a 13x9 after I saw how much food I’d made. Dollop the cornbread mix on top, carefully spreading it without stirring it into the first layer. Sprinkle with additional cheddar, if desired.

Bake according to cornbread directions, keeping in mind that if the cornbread is thinner than the recipe calls for, it will take less time to bake. Mine was bubbly and done in about two-thirds of the required time. Test with a toothpick or cake tester for doneness.

No comments:

Post a Comment