Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tofu Lettuce Wraps

Ever since bypassing the Viet Now tofu at Mango's, I'd been craving some Vietnamese flavors. I made lettuce wraps and Faux Pho, two things I'd never tried myself. I was very, very pleased with the results. The lettuce wraps pretty easy to make.



The recipe I used claimed that you should have 1/4 cup of the marinade left to use as sauce, but my thirsty tofu soaked up every last bit of it. That was fine, though, because they were so chock full of sauce that it would have been overkill to add any more to them.

I started with frozen and thawed firm tofu, pressed the water from it, and made the marinade almost as directed. You need lime juice, honey (I used agave syrup), lemongrass, soy sauce, chili paste, and garlic. Slice the tofu before marinating in, and turn the tofu slices as they soak up the sauce. Alex cooked the tofu slices in our wok because he has the patience to turn each piece individually and brown each side.

For the wraps, I used iceberg lettuce and laid out the toppings for both the pho and wraps in one, so some did double duty. We had bean sprouts, carrots, and cilantro. Alex threw in some scallions and hoisin, too. I forgot the chopped peanuts mentioned in the recipe, but that might have been a nice touch. These were great! One of my favorite recipe finds by far and a dish we love to eat out was a success at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment