Tuesday, November 10, 2009



I'm not sure I can call this pad thai, but it's a stir fry dish with spicy peanut sauce (jarred), rice noodles, and lots of veggies. I was looking for a way to cook some tofu and decided to make this mess. Besides preparing the tofu a day or more in advance and chopping the veggies, this goes in the easy column.

When we order pad thai out, it's been sickeningly sweet. Alex likes it that way. We also have to choose between veggies and tofu. Sure enough, by putting in our favorite veggies, we have a huge batch of this stuff. Plus, we have leftover veggies for other uses and I feel like it's decently healthy.

Ingredients: frozen, thawed, and pressed tofu, cooked first and set aside. Freezing tofu is one of the best things I've ever done. I can't imagine cooking so much without this tasty addition in my toolbox.

Veggies: onion, carrot, baby corn, mushrooms, red bell pepper, green beans, water chestnuts. I added those I wanted most cooked first, then put in the rest. Finally, I added the rehydrated rice noodles and tofu and a generous measure of the sauce.

After the stir fry: a squeeze of lime, some bean sprouts, and sprinkle of chopped peanuts. If I'd thought about it while I was shopping, some cilantro would have made a nice addition too.

No comments:

Post a Comment