Monday, February 8, 2010

Buffalo Seitan and Potato Skins

I love snacky food. Like just about everyone else in the country, we watched the Superbowl and wanted some special snacky food to eat along with. I wanted things that I normally wouldn’t eat, and I don’t mean chicken wings and bacon. Our main dishes were buffalo seitan and potato skins.

Superbowl 007

I used this recipe for oven-baked potato skins. It was pretty easy, if a little time consuming.

  1. Scrub and bake your potatoes. Slice in half, then scoop out enough potato to leave a quarter-inch shell.
  2. Coat the insides with a mix of oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
  3. Bake at a hot 475F for 7 minutes (so they crisp).
  4. Turn and coat the jackets with the same mix and bake another 7 minutes. If I were to do this again, I’d probably just spray the outside with Pam or brush with oil and leave it at that, although I’d still bake the 14 minutes to get them nice and crispy.
  5. Fill cups with cheese or facon or other toppings and bake until melty, about 5 minutes for mine. Serve immediately.

Alex made some Morningstar bacon strips while these guys were baking, and we filled the potato skin cups with shredded cheddar cheese, and a half stick of bacon each. On our plates, we topped with sour cream and chives. It’s been a while since either of us has had potato skins, and we both enjoyed these a lot. Alex commented that these were less cheesy and more potato than he had at restaurants. I liked how crisp they got as well as the flavor of the spice rub.

Superbowl 002

Buffalo seitan, the way we make it, is really easy. We simply used packaged seitan and doused it in store-bought wing sauce, heated it one the stove, and that’s it. Served with some of that celery I was worried about using up and some Ken’s bleu cheese dressing.

Superbowl 008

No comments:

Post a Comment